WINTER, not something we want to think about at this time, but it is right around the corner. Now is the time to start the winter preparation process which not only includes planting bulbs, trimming back the flowers we so enjoyed all summer, but also preparing our homes for the U.P winter weather.
- Check the weather-stripping around door frames and windows to prevent heat loss.
- Trim overgrown branches back from your house which prevents iced over branches to cause property damage or power problems.
- Add extra dirt to low areas around your home to assist rain and snow run off avoiding foundation problems.
- Inspect outdoor lighting around your home and property to prevent accidents on icy walkways at night.
- Inspect roofing, decking and handrails to make sure all are secure and in good condition for the heavy snow load.
- Clean out and repair any gutters / vents around the home preventing blockages and unwanted house guests.
- Prepare your summer tools for storage and winter tools for maintenance of your property.
The date of the “Fall Back” time change has been moved this year to November 1st. This is a great time to change the batteries in your smoke alarm and the filters on your furnace.
Let’s enjoy this beautiful season filled with wonderful holidays and family get-togethers without additional stress.