Fall is here! It is time to prepare your home for the winter season and take care of any potential problems before they arise. Here are some suggestions for fall maintenance:
- Check smoke detectors and change the batteries in each detector.
- Inspect your fire extinguisher to be sure it’s fully charged. Or, if you don’t have one, make sure to purchase one.
- If you have a fireplace, have your chimney cleaned.
- Check gutters and downspouts to be sure they are secured properly to your home. Don’t forget to clean out any leaves or debris that may be accumulating in them as well!
- Have your furnace or boiler inspected by a licensed professional to be sure everything is in working order and ready to use for the winter season.
- Insulate water pipes that are exposed to reduce the chance of the pipes freezing.
Taking a little bit of extra time in the fall to take care of home maintenance and prepare for the colder temperatures of winter may help protect your home from damage in the winter. After you have taken care of your maintenance work and raked the leaves in your yard, jump in the leaf pile just for fun!