What happens when you’ve had an automobile accident? Nobody truly expects to experience an accident, but all should be prepared to handle what to do after one takes place. Take it from me, I had the unfortunate experience this winter. I work for VAST, so I should know exactly what to do in a situation like this, right? I learned quickly that adrenaline and chaos in a situation like this make it hard to keep things straight!
Important tips I learned to act upon as quickly as possible once an accident occurs:
- Turn on your vehicle hazard lights and stay at the scene. Move to safety as soon as possible. If you cannot pull off the road and your vehicle is in a dangerous position, leave your vehicle where it is and move to the sidewalk or shoulder of the road.
- Call the police to help. If you don’t know the local police number, dial 911 and let them know where you are so they can contact the local police quickly.
- If injuries occur, 911 will send an ambulance. Emergency Medical Technicians will assess the individuals involved. Do not move anyone who is injured, unless safety requires it.
- Exchange information with anyone involved, and gather witness information as well. One good tip is to use a smartphone to take pictures of others’ IDs, Auto Proofs and license plates.
- Call your insurance carrier promptly. VAST’s phone number is 906-228-7500, and if it is after-hours, there is an option to be connected to someone from our office who can help 24/7.
- Take pictures of the damage done to your vehicle as soon as you can. Your insurance carrier will want them.
My car accident was scary, traumatizing, and distressing, as many are! Luckily, I work for VAST – a company full of individuals who are very supportive and helpful during a situation like this. Dealing with the aftermath was easier than I expected with help from my team at VAST, and VERY thankfully, no person was injured during the unfortunate incident.